It’s summertime and for many kids that means staying home with a sitter or by themselves (if they are old enough). It can drive a parent crazy, knowing that their kids are home just watching TV or playing video games all day. But it doesn’t have to be that way! There are so many things to do around Bloomington/Normal…here are just a few:
- Check out the Library-Normal Public Library has several activities planned each day! Normal Public Library
- Pepsi Ice Center- Ice skating is great exercise and the Pepsi Ice Center offers open skates most weekdays. Bloomington Pepsi Ice Center
- Go see a movie- Several movie theaters here in town offer kid’s movies during the day.
- Go see a play- Community Players Theatre has children plays that your children will love!
- Rising Stars Academy- Open gyms are offered throughout the week. Your little ones will have a blast on the trampolines and jumping into the foam pit! http://www.risingstarsacademy.com/
- Parks & Rec District Activities: Both Bloomington & Normal have so much to offer for kids this summer, pools, parks, clubs, etc.! Normal Parks & Recreation Bloomington Parks & Recreation
- Miller Park Zoo- Kids love animals and going to the zoo is a great way to keep kids entertained for the afternoon. Miller Park Zoo
- Children’s Discovery Museum- Great place for kids to use their imagination! Children’s Discovery Museum
Or, here are some great indoor/outdoor activities you can do at home:
- Anything outside! Kids need physical activity and some fun ways to get it can be: having a water balloon fight outside, basketball in the driveway, a Slip-N-Slide, or backyard baseball.
- Crafting is always fun! Look for ideas on Pinterest that you know your kids would enjoy doing.
- Put together a scavenger hunt for your kids. They can look around the house and outside for clues.
- Movie Marathon-Pick out some of your kids favorite movies and set aside some popcorn and drinks.
- Board games-Make sure your kids and babysitter know where all of the board games are in the house. Some games can help teach money management!
There is always something out there for kids to do, sometimes you just have to be creative! Definitely do not hesitate to get out there and look online to see what is scheduled at different places! Make this summer the best one yet!